Cooking time – 30 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients – (Serves 6)
- Canned Diced tomatoes – 1 – 28 oz
- Canned tomato puree – 1 – 14 oz
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Garlic – about 5 large cloves
- Fresh red chilies – 2 or 3 (I used 2 green ones)
- Crushed red pepper – 2 or 3 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste (if needed)
- Dried oregano – 2 tsp
- Basil – to garnish (optional)
- Olive oil – 4 to 5 tbsp
- Parmesan cheese – to garnish (optional)
- Penne pasta – 1 pound
- In a deep pot, heat the olive oil. To get closer to the restaurant flavor, use more oil. I used about 5 tbsp of olive oil. Sauté the chopped onions until translucent and then add the minced garlic. This is a lot of garlic, but that is the flavor of the sauce.
- Sauté for about 20 seconds and then add the canned tomatoes (diced and puree). Add the green chilies, crushed red pepper, sugar, oregano and salt and mix well. If your canned tomatoes have salt in it go very easy on the salt. You might not need any.
- Let the mixture come to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Cook the pasta as it says in the box and then drain it.
- Top with the sauce and garnish with parmesan cheese.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#48