Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake has been something on my mind for the longest time and for no apparent reason, I have never been able to make it. When I chose the BM theme for this week, I knew this was my chance to make this cinnamon crumb coffee cake that has been in mind for a long time. To add on to my thoughts, my neighbor had made a gorgeous loaf of a similar cake and I was even more tempted to make some of my own.
This Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake recipe has everything that I had wanted in my cake. It had great texture, mild sweetness and a wonderful cinnamon crumb. My son remarked that this was just like the ones that he eats at bakery. The whole pan disappeared in less than 48 hours, so that is a proof that the Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake was liked by everyone at home.
This Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake recipe yielded a 8 x 8 pan. This recipe can easily be doubled to make a larger batch. My son however felt that the cinnamon crumb could be more. I will remember that when I make it next time. I was however quite happy with the ratio of the crumb to the cake.
Preparation time – 15 minutes
Baking time – 25 – 30 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients to make Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake – yields one 8 x 8 pan
For the cake –
- All purpose flour – 1 1/2 cups
- Baking powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Butter (unsalted) – 5 tbsp (softneend)
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Egg – 1 (room temperature)
- Milk – 1/2 cup (room temperature)
- Vanilla – 1 tsp
For the Crumb topping –
- Butter (unsalted) – 4 tbsp (cut into tiny cubes and slightly softened)
- All purpose flour – 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar – 1/2 cup (packed)
- Cinnamon – 1 1/2 tsp
Procedure to make Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake –
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 8 x 8 pan and keep it ready.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and keep it aside. I usually whisk them together or give it a quick sieve to combine.
- In a larger bowl, cream together the butter and the sugar.
- Add the egg, vanilla and milk and beat them well again.
- Add the flour mixture in batches and mix gently to combine. The batter will be thicker than the usual cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
To make the crumb topping –
- combine the ingredients mentioned for the crumb topping in small bowl and using a fork mix in the butter with the dry ingredients until they are well combined.
- Sprinkle the prepared crumb topping on the batter evenly and press it down gently with a spatula.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then remove carefully onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice the Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake and serve with coffee/tea.
This recipe goes to Kid’s delight event hosted by Vidhya’s Vegetarian Kitchen and run by Srivalli – Spice Your Life!
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#72