When I am drinking coffee outside, there are few that are my favorites. Caramel macchiato tops my list. I like it hot as well as the cold. The specialty of the coffee is the layered effect that you can see in the cup. This specialty drink when you order outside can easily cost about $4 /small cup. Making it at home cost literally 1/4th of the cost and it is absolutely easy to make without needing any fancy gadget. For the second day of BM, I am going to be working on a category called coffee variation and this is going to be the recipe for it.
To begin with any coffee based drink should have a good coffee in it. The better the quality of the coffee, better the end result is going to be. If you know us personally, you would know that I and my husband are very serious coffee drinkers. This does not necessarily mean we drink coffee through the day, but the one cup of coffee that we drink in the morning has to be the best one. We being South Indians are addicted to the filter (decoction) coffee. My husband, who is the official coffee maker of the house, grinds the coffee bean fresh every night and then prepares the filter, so it is ready for us first thing in the morning. Buy good quality coffee bean and invest in a good coffee grinder.
The coffee for this drink is slightly thinner than the filter coffee, so I used my coffee maker to brew some strong coffee. Also the Macchiato requires vanilla syrup which you can find in any grocery store, but I made my own and it is pretty easy. I have the recipe for that as well. Store this syrup in the refrigerator and you can use to flavor many kind of coffee or drinks with it.
Preparation time – 15 mins plus 15 mins if you are making your own syrup
Cooking time (brewing time) – 5 mins
Difficulty level – easy
Recipe source – https://tastykitchen.com/recipes/drinks/iced-caramel-macchiato/
Ingredients to Iced Caramel Macchiato – 2 Tall Glass
- Vanilla syrup – 4 tbsp
- Ice cubes – 1 ½ cups
- Milk – 2 cups
- Strong brewed coffee – 1 cup
- Caramel syrup/sauce – 4 tbsp
- Whipped cream – optional
Ingredients for vanilla syrup –
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – ¼ cup
- Vanilla a – 1 tsp
Procedure to make Iced Caramel Macchiato –
To make the vanilla syrup –
- Take the sugar and the water in a small sauce pan and let it come to boil in low flame. Do not mix the syrup with the spoon when boiling; just stir the pan around to help dissolve the sugar.
- Turn off the flame and add the vanilla extract. Keep it aside and let it cool down.
- Once cooled, store it in a bottle for future use.
To assemble the coffee –
- Brew coffee and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Get tall glasses ready and pour 2 tbsp of vanilla syrup in each glass.
- Next goes the ice. Split the ice equally in to the glasses.
- Now add the milk to the glasses. Look at the layer of vanilla syrup in the base.
- Next add the brewed coffee. You don’t want to add the coffee in all at once, but to create the layered effect, add the coffee slowly through the side. This way the coffee will remain on the top. Do you see three distinct layers now?
- Now add the whipped cream (optional) and then swirl in the caramel syrup. If you are skipping the whipped cream, then just add the caramel sauce on top, give it a quick mix and sip away.
- This would be a perfect thirst quencher for a coffee lover on a hot summer day.