Lately, after 9 PM, I want to do nothing else but have the time for myself. This time is not spent blogging, reading or crafting but watching series after series of shows on Netflix. The one we are watching now is ‘Hart of Dixie’ and I am totally addicted to it. When I first saw this bread on the list of top 100 dishes from Taste of Home, I just could not get past its name. The show is based at an Alabama town called Bluebell and one of the main characters of the show is Lemon. I was so excited to see the name of the character and town (partially) appear in the bread as it reminded me greatly of the show.
This Lemon Blueberry Bread is one of the quickest bread I have baked. I have used my stand mixer for making the batter, but can be easily made with a hand mixer or a whisk. I have used frozen blueberries and will taste great with fresh ones as well. If using frozen blueberries, keep it frozen until ready to add to the batter and once added to the batter, give it a quick stir and transfer it to the pan. This way there will be minimal discoloration of the batter and the bread will remain pale in color instead of becoming purple.
I have used eggs in the recipe and have not tried any substitutions yet. Also the original recipe had a lemon glaze on it, which I skipped as the bread was sour enough and tasted well without it. They also had nuts in the original recipe which I skipped.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 60 – 70 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Recipe adapted from – Taste of Home
Ingredients to make Lemon Blueberry Bread – makes one 8 x 4 loaf
- All purpose flour – 1 ½ cups
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Butter – ⅓ cup (melted)
- Eggs (large) – 2
- Milk – ½ cup
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Blueberries – 1 cup (fresh or frozen)
- Lemon zest – 2 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease an 8 x 4 standard loaf pan and keep it ready.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the mixer bowl, place the eggs, butter, sugar and lemon juice. Beat in high until the mixture is thick and creamy (about 2 minutes).
- Add the flour mixture alternating with milk and beat well after each addition.
- Add the lemon zest and give a quick mix to combine.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter. If using frozen blueberries, make sure to keep it frozen until ready to use and also fold it in very quickly so as to not discolor the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 60 to 70 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. It took me 70 minutes to bake.
- Remove the loaf pan from the oven and let it sit for about 15 minutes before removing the bread from the pan.
- Cool the loaf of Lemon Blueberry Bread completely before slicing.