24th Jan, 2013
This is a very simple recipe which is very close to my heart. I love this pachadi whenever my mother used to make it. It packs loads of flavor from the okra and is so crunchy and delicious with every bite. This raita pairs up very well with any prepared rice like Tomato rice, tamarind rice or Sesame rice. It is a perfect contrast with spicy rice dishes. It also goes well with Biriyani and Pulao’s.
Whenever I shop for okras, I always end up buying a big batch of it. Everyone in my house loves this and after making a batch or two of Vendakkai/Okra curry, the remaining okras goes into this raita. So if you have just a handful of okras in your refrigerator this recipe is the perfect one for you.
Preparation time – 5 mins
Cooking time – 15 mins
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients – (serves 4)
- Vendakkai/Okra/Bhindi – 12 -15 (cut into very thin slices)
- Curd/Yogurt – 2 cups
- Salt -to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Red chilies – 1 (optional) I did not use this
- Asafetida/perungayam – 1/8th tsp
- Wash and clean the okras. Now slice them really thin. This is very important since this ensures even and quick frying.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Add the mustard seeds and let it sputter. Now add the asafetida and red chili (if using) and give it a minute to fry.
- Now add the chopped okras and mix well. Add salt and let the okras fry and become crisp.
- Beat the yogurt with a fork or whisk and to this add the fried okras. Check the seasoning and adjust.
- Serve with hot and spicy rice or Biriyani! I served this with Tomato rice/Thankkali saadham.
Traditional and Native recipes