For the second day of cooking with carrots for the theme pick one make three, I made this very different carrot gravy subzi. I have made carrot curry, the South Indian way with coconut and also made carrots combined with many other vegetables, but since I chose carrots as my main ingredients for the theme, I wanted this to shine as the star in my recipe. Hence I made this gravy with just carrot as the vegetable, of course apart from the onions and tomatoes used to make the curry base.
Ingredients to make Carrot Gravy Subzi – (serves 4-6)
- Carrots – 1 lb (1/4 kg)
- Onions – 2 (chopped)
- Tomatoes – 3 (chopped)
- Cilantro – 1 small bunch or about ½ cup
- Green chilies – 3
- Pottu kadalai/Roasted Bengal gram dal – 3 tbsp
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Peel the carrots and chop it lengthwise in equal size. Steam it in a microwave for about 6 minutes or until cooked 3/4th. It is very important to cut the carrots in equal size for even cooking.
- Heat oil in a wide pan and add the cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds fry and turn aromatic, add the chopped onions. Sauté until translucent.
- Meanwhile, grind the gram dhal, garlic, green chilies, ginger and cilantro into smooth paste adding little water as needed.
- Once the onions are fried, add the ground mixture and fry for 3-4 mins.
- Now add the tomatoes along with salt and let it cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the steamed carrots and the garam masala powder along with a cup of water and let the subzi boil. Now simmer for about 10-12 mins until all the flavors combine.
- Serve hot with roti’s or parathas!