I love roasted tomatoes and I have made tomato soup before and then I made Roasted tomato soup and that became my favorite. I have made regular tomato sauce for pasta before and now that I have made the oven-roasted tomato pasta sauce, this is my latest favorite. This sauce was made to please my 5 year old in case he did not like the basil pesto. Since he declared that the pesto was the world’s best sauce ever, this had to wait for another night.
This tomato pasta sauce has no stove top cooking time. All we have to do is mix the ingredients, put them in the oven and then mix it with prepared pasta. It cannot get simpler than that right? And the best part is roasting the tomatoes along with garlic and oregano gives it the complex flavor. This is perfect to make on a busy night, since there is no standing in front of the stove and stirring.
Preparation time – 5 minutes
Cooking time – 20-30 minutes
Difficulty level – easy
Ingredients to make Oven-Roasted Tomato Pasta Sauce – Serves 2-3
- Tomatoes – 2 lbs (about 8 large Roma tomatoes)
- Extra virgin olive oil – ¼ cup
- Garlic – 2 cloves (minced)
- Dried oregano – ½ tsp
- Spaghetti – ½ lb
- Salt – to taste
- Freshly ground pepper – to taste
- Crushed red peppers – to taste (optional)
- Parmesan cheese – to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Cut the tomatoes into 1 inch pieces and place it in a bowl. Add the garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, red chili flakes and olive oil in the bowl and mix well.
- Place the tomatoes in a greased baking sheet and put it in the oven. Roast them for about 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan once in between. Check to see if the tomatoes are shriveled and soft.
- Cook the spaghetti based on the package instruction and then drain.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl and then add the roasted tomatoes mixture and mix gently to combine.
- Place the pasta on a serving dish and serve with grated cheese.