When it comes to comfort food, my go to recipe is a kootu. I love eating hot kootu with rice and paruppu. I make kootu on lazy days when I am not in a mood to cook anything elaborate. Kootu makes up for a complete meal and is very filling as well. The Mor kootu is something similar to aviyal except for I have made it just with possanikkai / ash gourd here. We could use the same recipe to make mor kootu with snake gourd, cabbage or a mixture of vegetables.
Preparation time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 30 minutes
difficulty level - easy
Ingredients to make Poosanikkai Mor Kootu - serves 4
- Poosanikkai / Ash Gourd / White pumpkin - 3 cups (chopped into ½ inch pieces)
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Yogurt (preferable a little sour) - 1 cup (whisked with ½ cup of water)
- Salt - to taste
To Grind into paste -
- Coconut - ½ cup
- Cumin seeds - 1 ½ tsp
- Green chilies - 4 to 5
- Raw rice - 1 tsp
To season -
- Oil - 2 tsp (preferable coconut oil)
- Mustard seeds - 1tsp
- Ullutham paruppu / Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Asafetida - a pinch
Procedure to make Poosanikkai Mor Kootu -
- Chop the ash gourd / poosanikkai into bite size cubes. Place it in a pan with about ½ cup of water and turmeric powder.
- Let the vegetable cook until they are soft.
- Meanwhile, grind the coconut, green chilies, cumin seeds and rice into a smooth paste. You could add a little water when grinding.
- Combine this mixture with the whisked yogurt and keep it ready
- Once the vegetable is cooked well, drain any excess water. Add salt needed and the coconut mixture and let the kootu simmer for flavors to combine.
- Heat oil for seasoning and add the seasoning ingredients. Add it to the simmering kootu.
- Serve hot with rice , paruppu (dal) and ghee!