really appetizing. My whole household being a very big fan of tofu, this tofu really tickled our taste bud. The actual recipe was made with jalapeno, but since my kids were eating it, I substituted the jalapenos with bell pepper. The
crunch of the bell pepper alleviated the recipes flavor. If you are not a tofu fan, you could always make this dish with paneer.
Ingredients to make Spicy Fried Tofu –
- Tofu (preferably extra firm) – 1 package (about 400 gms)
- Bell pepper – 1 small or ½ a large (chopped)
- Spring onions/scallions (with the greens) – 4 (chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (chopped finely)
- Soya sauce – 2 tbsp Koyo Foods 34771 Organic Soy Sauce Reduced Sodium (Google Affiliate Ad)
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsp
- Chili sauce (Sriracha) – 1 tsp
- Corn flour – 2 tbsp
- Salt – 1/4th tsp
- Crushed black pepper – ¼ tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Drain the tofu well and remove most of the moisture by
wrapping it in several paper towels and pressing it down with a weight. Then
chop them into small cubes.
- Add the corn flour, salt and pepper to the chopped tofu
and mix it well.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok or fry pan and add the tofu
in it and shallow fry it until golden brown.
Drain it on a paper towel and keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil. Add the
minced garlic and fry for 10 secs.
- Now add the spring onions (Keep a few green to garnish)
and sauté for about a minute. Then add the chopped bell pepper and sauté
further for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the soy sauce, brown sugar and the sriracha
(chili sauce) and mix well.
- To this add the fried tofu and give it a good toss to mix
- Transfer it to a serving platter and garnish with the spring onion top.
- Serve as is or with sweet chili sauce.