This whole moong dal sundal also known as Pachai Payaru Sundal is a nutritious and healthy salad made with Moong / Mung bean. Perfect Sundal not just for the Navaratri festival but any time as a side or snack.
Navaratri / Navarathri is one occasion when we get to eat protein filled lentil / bean sundal for 9 days in a row.
The Pachai Payaru Sundal / whole moong dal sundal is not just nutritious but very delicious. I make this quite often as a side to my regular meal or as an evening snack.
If given a chance, my boys love the Sweet Sundal made with whole moong. So when boiling / cooking the moong beans, I cook enough to make both of them.
When shopping for my regular Indian grocery, Whole moong is always on the list. I make this sweet and sour Moong dal very often and it is one of our favorite dal to eat with roti.
Before my Instant Pot days, I used to cook the whole moong on stove top. I feared that I would make it mushy if I cooked it in the pressure cooker. But these days, IP does its job fabulously. I set it to 4 minutes and it is done to perfection.
Moong dal - We use the whole green moong to make this sundal.
Coconut - Freshly grated coconut is what we use for the recipe. I use the frozen grated coconut that I thaw and then use.
Seasoning - We need mustard seeds, red chilies, Asafetida, curry leaves and salt to season the sundal.
Lemon juice - The use of lemon juice is optional but I would highly recommend using it as it gives a beautiful fruity flavor to the sundal.
Step by Step process
Dry roast the moong in a pan, until slightly brown and aromatic (1).
Soak the roasted moong in enough water for about 2 hrs (2).
Drain the water and add fresh water to the beans. Add salt and cook it in instant pot for 4 minutes on high pressure (3). Release the pressure in 10 minutes. Drain the lentil and keep it aside (4).
If cooking on stove top, add fresh water in a pot and let the lentil cook until it crumbles easily between fingers. Add salt during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
In a wide pan, add oil and fry the seasonings (mustard seeds, asafetida, curry leaves and red chilies) (5).
Now add the drained the moong and stir well (6).
Add the coconut gratings and mix well (7).
Take the sundal off the flame and add the lemon juice if using. Mix well and serve.
More recipes to make with Whole Moong / Mung
Pachai Payaru Sweet Sundal - Sundal very similar to this recipe except it is sweet and has jaggery. One more recipe that is popular for Navaratri.
Quinoa Brown Rice Adai - I use quite a bit of whole grains when making this crepe / Adai Dosai.
Khatta meetha Moong dal - This is a popular sweet an sour dal that is a lovely side dish to roti.
Pesarattu - A popular and protein filled breakfast recipe of Andhra Pradesh made exclusively with whole moong dal.
If you made this recipe and liked it, give a star rating on the recipe card or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #MyCookingJourney and tagging me @sandhya.ramakrishnan. You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook |Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Pachai Payaru Sundal | Whole Moong dal Sundal
- Instant Pot
- 1 cup Pachai Payaru/Whole moong dal
- ⅓ cup Coconut grated
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3 Red chilies
- ¼ tsp Asafetida
- few Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon/lime juice optional
- Dry roast the moong in a pan, until slightly brown and aromatic.
- Soak the roasted moong in enough water for about 2 hrs.
- Drain the water and add fresh water to the beans. Add salt and cook it in instant pot for 4 minutes on high pressure. Release the pressure in 10 minutes. Drain the lentil and keep it aside.
- If cooking on stove top, add fresh water in a pot and let the lentil cook until it crumbles easily between fingers. Add salt during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- In the same pan, add oil and fry the seasonings (mustard seeds, asafetida, curry leaves and red chilies).
- Now add the drained the moong and stir well. Add the coconut gratings and mix well.
- Take the sundal off the flame and add the lemon/lime juice if using. Mix well and serve.